Conquering The PSAT

Administration now requires sophomores to take the PSAT

Keenan Taylor

Every sophomore on Oct. 11 spent the morning taking the Preliminary Scholastic Aptitude Test (PSAT) without having to pay for the test. This is the first year that the district covered the costs for the PSAT instead of having the students pay for it.

“Really what we did was reallocated some of our map testing dollars towards paying for the PSAT,” Principal Ed West said.

With each test costing approximately $16 per test. The plan is instead of having sophomores take a map test in both the fall and spring, they now just take the PSAT in the fall and a map test in the spring.

“We used to do map testing and so by the time students get to highschool we’ve got a lot of data,” West said.

As well as the scores that come back from the PSAT, students will also receive an AP potential report that provides suggested AP courses the student would best fit into.

“Even though it’s a PreSAT it’s also a good PreACT in terms of, it gives that good timed test experience,” West said, “And it’s good to experience that and sophomore year is the right time to do that because you’ve still got a couple more years left.”

Though the PSAT scores aren’t back yet, the overall attitude of the students was impressive.

“We won’t know the results until probably the first or second week of December,” West said, “But what was reported to me from the teachers who proctored the exam; they thought the experience was worthwhile and from what was reported to them from the students we got out of it what we hoped.”

Even though sophomores who take the PSAT don’t qualify for the national merit, it does help prepare them if they wish to take it again in hopes of qualifying for the national merit scholarship.