New Hall of Fame Inductees

Rebecca Donaldson

Jade Gurss
Jade Gurss graduated from Shawnee Heights in 1980. Gurss was involved in band, debate and forensics, theatre and track.
After graduation, Gurss attended the University of Kansas for one year and then moved to Ohio to earn a certification program as an audio engineer. After completion, Gurss returned to Kansas and earned his Bachelor’s degree in Broadcast Communication from Washburn University.
Since the age of three, Gurss has been fascinated with race cars. The spark of this interest was from his first time at Shawnee Speedway with his aunt and uncle.
In 1989, Gurss became the Director of Publicity at Heartland Park Topeka. He held this position for five years. Following, he moved to Charlotte, North Carolina. There, he worked for Mercedes-Benz North America. Gurss was the Account Executive for two years and the Director of Marketing and Publicity for four years.
In 1999, Gurss created his own company named ‘fingerprint, Inc.’. The goal of this was to provide media and public relations for Anheuser-Busch and their sponsorship of Budweiser NASCAR program with driver Dale Earnhardt. The slogan for the website is “nothing is as individual as a fingerprint.”

Ladonna Grindol
Ladonna Grindol was in the food service of Shawnee Heights for 22 years. Grindol
began on the serving line and retired as the food service manager.
In 1968, Grindol was a co-founder of hot lunch program at State
Street Elementary in Topeka. During her time at Shawnee Heights, she worked even after the school day prepping for the next day and preparing meals for outside events, like banquets and fundraisers.
Grindol is an active member of the School Nutrition Association. SNA is the national organization of school nutrition professionals committed to advancing the quality of school meal programs through education and advocacy. She has also worked alongside the local chapter of
school nutrition in Shawnee County.
In her free time, Grindol volunteers at iCARE. A poverty-based program that provides care packages for those in need, organizes and cooks. Grindol and her husband have been recognized as volunteer of the year by Every Woman’s Resource Center, and she has been featured in the Capital Journal as Cook of the Week.

Mary Wolfington
Mary Wolfington served as paraprofessional at Shawnee Heights from 1995 through 2013.
Wolfington assisted in a variety of subjects including math, history, and science. Wolfington also worked with elective teachers and frequently assisted in the woodworking and welding classes.
Wolfington graduated from Lone Jack High School, Lone Jack, Missouri, in 1966.
She then graduated from Southwest Baptist University with a Bachelor’s degree in Education, certified to teach K- 8 with an emphasis in Language Arts. Wolfington received her Master’s degree from Central Missouri State University in 1974 in classroom teaching.
Wolfington is a lifetime member of the Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi an
organization for exemplary college graduates. Her daughter was also invited into the society upon her graduation from Emporia State University. Wolfington is an active member of First Southern Baptist Church in Lawrence, KS.
She teaches a senior women’s Sunday school class, is responsible for all flower
arrangements, and works within the Lawrence Interdenominational Nutrition Kitchen
(LINK) program by providing food and serving those in need.

Todd Moreland
Todd Moreland graduated from Shawnee Heights in 1997. While in high school, Moreland took a variety of 2D and 3D art classes while participating in cross country, track, and theatre.
Moreland’s love for art began when he was a young boy when watching cartoons, he would draw the cartoon characters and developed his own stories. He first learned that he could make a career using his skills in art in seventh grade.
After high school graduation, Moreland attended the University of Central Missouri, where he earned a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Commercial Art with an emphasis in Graphic Design in 2002. While in college, Moreland had the opportunity to intern with the Central Intelligence Agency. This internship proved to be a pivotal moment for Moreland as time progressed.
During his time with the CIA, Moreland continued to develop his design skills, doing freelance work on the side, and it was his freelance work that led the Discovery Channel to recruit him to their organization. Serving as the art director for over nine years.
Moreland led design teams, developed marketing campaigns, directed photo shoots, coordinated collaborative efforts with outside agencies, and managed timelines and budgets for all print vendor projects. Moreland was also apart of three major design rebrands by the Travel Channel.
Last July, after 15 years on the east coast, Moreland moved to Los Angeles. As a freelance creative director and art director, Moreland has collaborated with top entertainment design agencies, contracting with clients that include FX, HBO, Netflix, Hulu, Starz, CBS Films, Freeform, and YouTube, as well as working with both large and small businesses, startup companies, and musicians.