The School Newspaper of Shawnee Heights Senior High

T-Bird cheerleaders making history

Before every performance the team gathers in a circle to say a prayer. The team finds strength, confidence, and unity when they pray. It also gives them time to take a deep breath and relax before they perform.

Andrea Crimmins

On Oct. 6 Shawnee Heights Cheer Coach, Cody Whitney went to the Shawnee Heights School board meeting and presented them with the idea of taking the cheer team to nationals. The board members vote was 6-0. Everyone was all for it.
The team consisted of 30 girls and two boys. Tryouts to make the national team took place on Oct. 30 with the two clinic before that to learn a mini routine. After the team was chosen, additional practices in January were used to learn a combined routine of stunts, tumbling, jumps, cheering, and a dance. They also learned a crowd involvement timeout cheer, which consisted of yelling “Go. Big. Red.” and some stunts before heading to Dallas.
Nationals was in Dallas, TX. The cheer team traveled there on Fri., Jan. 23, in a charter bus, and they practiced once they got there. They then performed in a timeout cheer early in the afternoon on the 24th, and later in the evening did their big performance in the preliminary round. The team got their scores back from the first round, made some changes late that night to improve their score, and then performed their big routine again on Sunday for the finals.
The SHHS cheer squad placed 8th in the timeout cheer category, and 4th in the Large Coed division for their big performance. Not only did they do well, but the made history. This was the first year a Kansas team has even competed in a National competition for cheerleading. They also plan on going back in years to come.
“I am so unbelievably proud of this team and all of their accomplishments. There is some much determination among this group and that is what helped them be so successful. They have done something that has never been done before,” Coach Cody Whitney said.