How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying

Shawnee Heights Students Perform 51 Year Old Classic for the Fall Musical.

Anna Vincent

Cayla Bortz
Have you ever wondered how to commute in a three button suit? This years musical,
How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying, follows the life of window washer J. Pierrepont Finch, played by sophomore, Bronze Constantino. This is his second musical with the high school, performing in Shrek the musical last year.

“It’s a big responsibility, especially for this play, because I have to memorize like two hours of dialogue, and it’s crazy to think that I actually did it,” Constantino said.

Finch finds a book called How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying that helps direct him through the business world. He starts his career at the World Wide Wicket Corporation with a position in the mail room. Along the way we’re introduced to his love interest, Rosemary, played by senior, Rylie Purling. Finch continues to climb his way to the top from junior executive to advertising manager.

He is tasked with coming up with a great idea to help the company. Since he does not actually know what he’s doing, he takes advice from Bud Frump, played by junior, Jojo Katsbulas. He’s the boss’ nephew who wants Finch gone. Bud gives him the idea for a treasure hunt show his uncle previously shut down. The idea goes awry when the location of the treasure is prematurely revealed to be in the Wicket company buildings.

Finch’s job is on the line when the chairman of the board arrives in the aftermath of the raids. Luckily, he’s able to get the chairman on his side when he learns that they both started out as window washers. In a riveting conclusion Bud ends up fired and working as a window washer himself.

For those who don’t know, history teacher, Charlie Appelhanz, played a significant role in the musical. He was the book voice that navigated young Finch through his journey. Appelhanz was originally approached by Mr. Jeff Boyer for the part. He practiced reading the script several times to work on pacing and pronunciation.

“I did not actually memorize the lines,” Appelhanz said. “It did however give me great respect for the actresses and actors who have so much to learn and memorize for their roles.”

The role came as a shock to students.

“When I heard that he was going to be in it I was surprised because I love Mr. Appelhanz,” Constantino said.

The musical is a way to get involved in school while having fun. There are many parts that help make the musical what it is: the pit, sound and light department, stagecraft, makeup/hair, and acting.

“It’s fun to be apart of something for the school,” senior, Morgan Shipman said.