Peyton Carson and Kelsey Riedel Crowned King and Queen

Miscommunication Leads to Additional Queen and King Candidates

Cayla Bortz

Cayla Bortz

The school crowned Peyton Carson and Kelsey Riedel as the 2018 King and Queen of Courts on  Feb. 16. The two were chosen from a larger candidate pool this year, including seven girls and seven guys instead of the traditional five in each category.

The candidate selections were increased from 10 total to 14 this year.. According to Mrs. Terri Ward, the Spirit Club sponsor, the wrestlers did not submit names in time for the seniors to vote on candidates, and therefore weren’t on the initial ballot. Because the 10 candidates had already been named and announced to the school when the issue was brought up, the compromise was to add two additional boys and two additional girls to the candidate list.  

In the case of the girls, the added candidates were simply the next two females who received the most votes. With the boys, a new ballot was created that included the additional wrestlers and any other male nominee that was not already selected.

The number of candidates will go back to 10 next year.

After quickly changing from her basketball uniform dripped in sweat to a navy two-piece dress with jewels and six-inch heels, Riedel’s tomboy personality needed the help of her teammates to prepare for the crowning ceremony.

“Wearing a dress and makeup and all that is definitely not my thing,” Riedel said. “It was special for me because I was surrounded by my friends and my family and my super supportive team… I was glad I could share the moment with all of them.”  

Spirit week consisted of four days for students to dress up to school (Monday was a professional development day for teachers). The themes included blast from the past, crazy weather day, out of this world, and class color day. During the assembly on Friday, On candidates went up against the teachers in a pie eating contest.

“My favorite part of spirit week was just getting to dress goofy and for people to enjoy coming to school that week,” Carson said.

Students also decorated the stands in the gym based on their class themes around the overarching spirit week theme of “Places Around the World.” The freshman class selected Paris, sophomores did Greece, juniors chose Hawaii, and seniors used Las Vegas.

“I thought Spirit Night went well however, as this year students were in charge and did the work rather than the parents. I think student involvement and ownership in what they do definitely generates more participation and sense of pride,” Mrs. Ward said.