National Talent at Our Home Base

Faithanne Burgoon

Coming off a recent state championship, Paige Petefish and Sydney Wellshear were recognized for their talent and chosen for the 2017 Softball All American team. All American is a team created based on individual scores and abilities.  With the support of their families and team they were acknowledged for this honor during this year’s kickoff. Petefish and Wellshear have played softball for most of their lives. This year’s high school softball team placed in the top twenty five nationally. Being only juniors, they both have a long road ahead of them and both have potential softball careers in their future.

“I really wasn’t expecting it. I didn’t even know you could get higher than All State recognition. So when I found out that I made All American, I was really excited. It gave me something to strive for in our next season,” Petefish said.

“I found out about the recognition at the beginning of June when Coach Giddens sent me a text about the award. At first I had no idea what was going on, or even how big of an award it truly is,” Wellshear said.

Although Wellshear is still uncommitted, Petefish has been offered and committed to Division 2 college, University of Central Missouri.

“I have loved playing with the high school team; it’s like a second family! Everyone is about the team and not so much for themselves,” Petefish said.

“Ever since day one as a freshman, I have always felt welcomed even though I was one of the youngest there. There’s something special about the Shawnee Heights softball program and it’s not hard to explain why. Giddens created a culture at Shawnee Heights that’s built on caring for each other, always supporting your team, and always putting one hundred percent effort into anything you attempt,” Wellshear said.