T-Birds Fall In Regional Competition

Brianna Wolfert

Brianna Wolfert

Alyssa Rabe

Friday, Oct. 20 the  football team went head to head with the Emporia Spartans to finish off the regular season. Senior Quarterback, Mitchel Lady, started off the game early with a 61 yard touchdown run to take the lead but ended up falling behind 19-14. The following week was the start of playoffs. During playoffs, it’s a single game elimination , the Thunderbirds made sure to come out and take charge. Luckily, the boys were able to go out with confidence and defeated the Leavenworth Pioneers 40-21.

“We felt extremely confident about starting off the game fast. After Emporia, we knew all of the mistakes we made and played with a chip on our shoulder. We had a great week of practice and bounced back,” Lady said. Unfortunately the Thunderbirds came up short the following week and lost to St. James Academy with a final score 19-0.

“Before this game, we just worked on cleaning things up. We knew number 34 was a good running back, so we focused on stopping the run and tackling low,” senior Cade Holmes said.“Some nights you just don’t have it. Tonight was one of those nights. I am so thankful for this season and all of the things we accomplished as a team. These guys are my family and my brothers. I can’t thank them enough for all they have done for me. It was an amazing season and I’m glad to have been apart of it.” The Thunderbirds will be losing a total of 16 seniors, 13 of which who started. Having 11 people on the football field at once and losing that many seniors will be tough to make up for.

“It sucks to see this chapter of our lives end, but I’m excited to see where everyone ends up. The brotherhood we created through the time we have played together is just so incredible,” Holmes said.

Head coach Jason Swift had a few final words for the 2018 seniors, “This is a senior class that will always be remembered for being humble and hungry.  They were outstanding men that gave their best every day.  It was a good season and we were able to accomplish a lot.  I am very proud of all of them.” The Birds ended the season with a 7-2 record.